Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who’s an Algerian?

+2
Chichidodo
w_ch
6 posters

Go down

Who’s an Algerian? Empty Who’s an Algerian?

Post by Hush Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 am

Who’s an Algerian?

Who is an Algerian? A question you should not have asked, some people would say! Yet an answer might not come as easy as it should be. I do not see the Algerian in the one desperate young man who puts his life in jeopardy just to get out of his birth land. What is Algerian in that western-looking man who is ashamed to say a word in Arabic or dress up in burnouse. What is Algerian about the one who prefers watching Star Academy, than knowing what Palestinians and brothers are going through? How could it come to this? A possible answer might be found in our History. The latter is left lame in our rush for a seeming modernity. If we carry on looking for a nation to be, we will lose the nation we are, in order not to say the nation we were. Algeria has not come out in 1962 neither in 1518. Algeria is the land of civilizations, a land of man, free man.

The Algerian is the early Tergui man who left those wonderful drawings and relic that bear
witness for his genius, a man whose existence is asserted by the marvelous vestiges of a civilization. The Algerian has an ancestor like king Massinissa, a clever, intrepid figure who could unify almost all the Numidian kingdoms. The Algerian seeks unity, which doesn’t mean uniformity, within the nation. As the different musical notes make up a delightful symphony, the harmony between the different groups and members of society, all together, erect the Algerian identity. The Algerian should make of the nation’s diversity a source of creativity and richness.

The Algerian has to regain back his spirituality that constitutes the core of his identity. It is an undivided criterion for our being and has been so from Saint Augustin to the Algerian Muslim Scholars Society. People like Abdelhamid Ibn Badis or Elbachir Elibrahimi and others kept the spirit of the Algerian alive. Nevertheless, the one has not to confuse between spirituality and fundamentalism. Any sort of radicalism is to be banned and must be rejected. Spirituality is tightly linked to public-spiritedness.

The role model for the Algerian is undoubtedly found in the charismatic figure of the Emir
Abd-el-Kader . The notion of freedom and patriotism are personified in him. A man who made his enemies respect him. That is how an Algerian used to be. He has to establish himself as an active member, not only in Algeria, but worldwide. The success of many Algerians abroad is the testimony for their skill and ingenuity. The question that might come to one’s mind is why does not the Algerian trust his genius in his country? Why should he be far-off to be awakened?

To be Algerian is to be proud. It is our History that makes the difference between being and dreaming to be. To be Algerian is more than a perishable substance wandering here and there. An Algerian is a civilized individual who makes himself respected all over the world…
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Who’s an Algerian? Empty Re: Who’s an Algerian?

Post by w_ch Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

I've got to admit...I haven't been the perfect Algerian...I wasn't even closed to be one.Algeria is my country and i'm proud to be one of its people.I don't think;however,I would be one ofwhom this country is proud.Call it pissimism or a distructive thinking,but i call it "fact".All of my thinking once (it means i don't do that anymore)was to find a certain way to get out.This kind of thinking was due to the presence of several "Germs" whose only job is to Contaminate the pure state of this country.
This thinking;however,changed compeletly as soon as I realized that goodness,even if in a low rate,exists.I know we aren't allowed to talk about teacher anymore,but this time i'll breake the rule and mention one in particular...Mr Boukhatem.He is,or was,my teacher of American Literature.He convinced me that there still is hope.He has mannaged to change my dark sight into a bright one using very simple arguments.Let me just say something to him...Thank you sir.I'm sure a lot of other students want to say the same thing.
w_ch
w_ch

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://Ouadhah.cherifi@oup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chichidodo Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 pm

What a frustrating question! I have first to take my hat off for this topic and for the ideas you've exposed Mr.Hush. I do share some of your ideas but I would focus on the idea of looking back to the past. I'm really tired of people saying that we've a great nation and talking about things which are supposed to be great whereas they are but nothing comparing with the real Great things. I mean we have been told that Algeria is great because we did the gratest of the revolutions, and yes that's true but we have been on the wrong rails after the independence! We've been told that Algeria has performed the green dam ( السد الأخضر) but the fact is that what has been realised is just an almost insignificant percentage from that big project and most trees didn't make it! We've been told that Algerian football team won Germany in 1982 but the fact is that now we've hard time getting to the African cup ( I hope that time the wind of chnage is blowing), we've been told that we have the first reserve of gas. I don't wanna be defeatist but it's just that I want to say we should stress change and raise awareness. I really appreciate what you've said Mr. Hush and I think every member in here should read this article and reflect upon it because it's of gigantic importance.
Chichidodo
Chichidodo

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezinma Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:50 am

A good no a highly serious question!
Who's an Algerian? I think he is the one who've forgotten that he's an Algerian. He's the one who's ashamed to reveal his nationality to foreigners thinking they will call him a terrorist!
He's the one who vigorously strives to leave his mother land seeking death in another foreign land because he's dying in his country. He's the one who has been taught since his childhood that education will not serve him at all, so it's better to quit school. He is and he is ...
He is the one who thinks that having more than one cell phone makes him great! and She's the one who thinks that a suitor who doesn't own a nice car is 'nothing'. What has happened to us, to the Algerian? Where's the Algerian who sacrificed his blood, his family to make his beloved land smell the fragranced freedom. Where's the Algerian woman who stayed awake to sew our flag?! ...Well I'm an Algerian and I'm gonna say it again, again and again!
Ezinma
Ezinma

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by burself Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 am

Contradictions in Algeria are more than that exist in Heart of Darkness.According to my personal view,Algerian is the man who wants to live like Europeans and die as Muslim in order to gain the tow worlds:to live a happy life and to go to paradise by the end.  
burself
burself

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:19 pm

TO LIVE LIKE A MAN AND TO DIE TRYING TO GET OUR GOALS CAUSE I'VE HEARD A ISLAMIC PERSON HE TELLS( ANYBODY IS ABLE TO REACH HIS OWN AIMS IN THIS WORLD MEANS US AS MUSLIM BEING SOO ENJOY THIS LIFE AND TRY NOT TO FALL IN THE SIN CAUSE THEY GONNA THROW US INTO THE HELL°)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 pm

The answer according to me lies in history, we have to know who we are. This people called Algerian didn’t fall with the rain, we haven’t grew up with the land, didn’t come with the wind and didn’t come out of nowhere! We were born Algerians, having a COMMON, DISPARATE, VIOLENT and DIGNIFIED history; yes, no one can deny that Algeria was the MEKKA OF REVOLUTIONS, the country of FREE MEN… (or at least it was!)

Nevertheless, going back to history isn’t for a stay there, but just to know that we have an essence they may ensure our existence; if we deny it, we deny our existence. Though we should never stay in the past, glorifying it, saying that our ancestors have done, what we should say is WE DO, or at least we will. Being fatalist or defeatist has never been an option, not for me at least. They can make us starve, make us thirsty, torture us, but they can never deprive our thoughts being and existing; even dead we shall exist (I pay homage for all the country’s heroes, most of them never known) for we haunt the minds of those who hate us.

I have to reaffirm a primordial idea: Algeria is not a homogeneous country, we’re neither Berber nor Arabs, nor any other faction. When will we know that we are Algerians now? To deny any faction is to persecute oneself without knowing that. When you go abroad do you tell them I am a Berber, an Arab, a Tergui, a Chaoui, a Mezabite…? What I am saying doesn’t mean the denial of those undeniable parts of one’s identity, but what I am saying is that we are Algerian first. We have always to look for unity ( I repeat without denying one’s
difference). To make Algeria moving forwards we have to get conscious of differences and respect them in a one unifying culture, THE ALGERIAN CULTURE, and above all THE ALGERIAN IDENTITY! Otherwise we have to exterminate each other ( nonsense!).
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Thewolf Thu May 06, 2010 2:58 am

We share interests in Algeria, if someone throw a bone to us, we will eat ourselves for it.
Thewolf
Thewolf

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down