Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE ZOO STORY

2 posters

Go down

THE ZOO STORY Empty THE ZOO STORY

Post by sabine Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi mates Smile I want to share with you the excitement of reading Edward Albee's THE ZOO STORY.
Edward Albee is an American playwright who is best known for The Zoo Story (1958) and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1962). He belongs to the theater of the absurd which is a form of drama that emphasizes the absurdity of human existence. It employs disjointed, repetitious, and meaningless dialogue, purposeless and confusing situations, and plots that lack realistic or logical development.

Edward Albee's play The Zoo Story is a two acts play. It's main theme is the lack of communication between people who believe they are communicating. The play is both comic and tragic, for the same lack of communication which brings laughter can the next moment bring pathos as the consequences of isolated human beings (human beings who cannot or will not communicate openly and honestly) brings death, even murder, or murder by suicide.

The play features two men, Jerry and Peter ( the use of one or two characters is one of the characteristics of the theater of the absurd). I won't say more. I'll let you discover this play.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97578132/Edward-Albee-the-Zoo-Story-1959

I want you to read it with a critical eye. There is a deep relationship between this play and the philosophy of the absurd which is explained in Albert Camus The Myth of Sysiphus.

So, I advice you to read this book, too. Then try to draw the link between the two.
I hope you'll enjoy reading it as I did. All your comments are welcome Smile
sabine
sabine

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

THE ZOO STORY Empty Re: THE ZOO STORY

Post by sassy86 Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey doll ! First let me thank you for this AMAZING post and initiative (i'll add it to this post so that it will be part of what we'll do during summer https://blida-english.bbactif.com/t2110-summer-on-the-forum-any-volunteers)

I have read a good deal about the comic vs. the absurd in literature and I just CAN'T wait to know more about it!

I don't know The Zoo Story but you're raised my curiosity! I'll start reading it tonight! cheers bounce

It seems that it's not a long story, so I hope to finish it soon and tell you my impressions.

AGAIN, THANK YOU !
sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:26 pm

All the pleasure is mine sweet heart THE ZOO STORY 865413 I can't wait to read your analysis darling. THE ZOO STORY 362107
sabine
sabine

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Hey ! I have just finished reading it dear ! Well well well, I must say this is one of the finest and funniest but also most tragic stories I have ever read !! Shocked

I really wanna thank you first for making me know about it!

I can't give my analysis right now (I want to do it properly, so I'll take my time).

But I must say, it's the most original text I have ever read. At times it made me laugh so hard. I know that this is the absurd and it's meant to be this way, but sometimes that absurdity was so sad, so ironic. It just produced the opposite of the funny expected effect.
The absurd was driven to the other extreme! Don't you think so?

I'm really sad over the ending, I can't find words for the moment!
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm

You're welcome sister. I'm happy you love it Smile I do agree with you sassy. In fact, these ups and downs are of the main features of the theater of the absurd. The playwright tries to create a sense of humour at times and the feeling of deep sadness. he plays with the emotions of his audience. he makes them laugh and after some minutes he can make them cry to portray the absurdity and complexity of life. I'm preparing a detailed analysis of this play. It'll be ready in few days. THE ZOO STORY 362107

sabine
sabine

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm

I really can't wait to read your analysis, because (truth be told) I'm a bit confused about certain details in the story. Some clarifications would be just fine.

(Why the ZOO Sabine?? I couldn't make a link yet ? What did he do there?? )

P.S.: Welcome back doll, really missed you THE ZOO STORY 865413
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you sweety for such a warm welcome THE ZOO STORY 865413 In fact, the absurdity lies in the title itself because "the zoo story" is supposed to be told by Jerry just like the other stories he told Peter. But this story is not told simply because it's their real story. At the end of the play, the crime took place in the Zoo. It's a bit complex. The title creates a sense of ambiguity, doesn't it?
I think that it's better to study this play starting with the characters. What do you think Sassy?
Try to think of edward albbe's choice of Peter and Jerry as names for his characters? Does the significance of the name Peter reflects his personality?

THE ZOO STORY 868265
sabine
sabine

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 pm

You're SO right ! When I have just started reading your comment I thought "I have to read it again tonight" ! After all, there's no 'Zoo' story. Just like Peter, we as readers, keep waiting for Jerry's story without paying much attention to his stories (we keep on rushing just like Peter). That's so ambiguous but I'm liking it Twisted Evil
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum