Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grammar questions

4 posters

Go down

Grammar questions Empty Grammar questions

Post by glourious Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:42 am

Hello dear mates and friends Grammar questions Lol

I hope you are having a good vacation Grammar questions Herz

Well..I have some questions in Grammar and I need some help from you guys.. grammar can be very complicated science especially if you want to go "deeper", which is the case here!

First: What's the difference between " That nominal clause" and relative nominal clause introduced by relative pronoun "That"?
second: what's the difference between:
--intensive and extensive verbs?
--stative and dynamic verbs?
Third: what's Verbals?
( and if it's possible to use simple examples)

I will be very grateful for your help
thanks ahead
Grammar questions 644682
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Grammar questions Empty Re: Grammar questions

Post by tellmemore Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:21 pm

HI MAJID try this www.learnenglish.de/grammarpage.htm you may find what you need ya3omri1
tellmemore
tellmemore

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by black_white Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi
ok lets start with verbs.Verbs in english language are classified according to diffrent criteria : the possibility of admitting progrssive aspect;the structure,complementation and the functions of items.
According to the first criterium:" the possibility of admitting progrssive aspect" we have stative verbs and dynamic verbs.
Stative verb
is a verb that does not accept the progressive aspect that is to say it does not occur in continuous tenses, for example the verb "to understand " we can't say "i am understanding ".Stative verbs are the verbs that show the status or conditions ,examples of these verbs:hate, love, know,need owe,deserve,etc.
Dynamic verb
is a verb that doesn't have this restriction ie it accepts the progressive aspect.Dynamiv verbs show the action or the change of status, example "to learn" we can say "i m learning english"
black_white
black_white

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by black_white Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:44 pm

According to the second criterium"complementation " we have" intensive" and "extensive" verbs.
Intensive verbs
are verbs that connect the subject with its complement "S with its C" that s why sometimes they are refered to as " linking verbs ".These verbs should have the pattern "SVA"or" SVCs"
For example when we say " she is lovely "S VCs"
Extensive verbs
are classified into transitive verbs and intransitive
Intransitive verbs
are verbs that require no object ( they can stand by themselves) they have the pattern SVexample"the baby cried" or "i m singing"(so there is no need to say im singing a song "
Transitive verbs
are verbs that require an object they do not make complete sense themselves and they are devided into:mono-transitive, di-transitive and complex transitive.
Mono transitive:
a verb that requires one object(SVO) example:"he broke the window"
Di-transitive:
requires 2 objects direct object (Od) and indirect one(Di) (SVOO)example:"she sent me an email"(me is the direct object and an email is the indirect one)
Complex transitive
it requires an object and complement(SVOC)example"he found the film boring"
(the film is the O and boring is the C)
black_white
black_white

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezinma Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:58 pm

Hello,
I''d like to add a few points after Black_White. I hope that helps you a bit.

glourious wrote:First: What's the difference between " That nominal clause" and relative nominal clause introduced by relative pronoun "That"?

Glorious, I think what you meant to ask is the difference between Nominal Relative clause and relative (Adjectival) clause, for it is more accurate to call the "that element" which introduces that nominal clauses, a conjunction rather than a relative pronoun. Consider this example: I told her that I am ill, that-clause here is "that I am ill" and is introduced by the conjunction "that" not the relative pronoun "that", otherwise we can simply substitute it by which/what... The same with: That she is absent is a relief and I am certain that tomorrow will be better.
So let's give definitions to the following: That Nominal clause and Relative Nominal Clause and contrast it with the Relative (Adjective) Clause.
Nominal relative clauses and nominal that-clause both are nominal clauses, that is to
say subordinate clauses that function as noun phrases.

1) -Nominal that-clause (also called dependent or declarative clause) is introduced
by the conjunction that.
2) - Nominal Relative Clause (also called independent/free relative clause): note that this
clause is different from the adjectival relative clause (or adjective clause). This
type of nominal clause is introduced by relative pronouns like: That, who,whom, whose, which,where, when, and why. It has a nominal function (function as a noun phrase) and the relative word has no antecedent, unlike in the relative clause (also called adjectival and it modifies or changes a noun)where the relative clause has an antecedent (a word to which the relative word refers back).

I'll give you this link, it explains the clauses beginning with "that" : Click here

glourious wrote:second: what's the difference between: --intensive and extensive verbs?

Intensive verbs are concentrated to one, fixed structure. Words or phrases following an intensive verb function as subject complements; i.e., they complement the subject (they
tell us about the subject).For example:
1)-My cousin became a doctor.
2)-She seems happy.
Extensive verbs are not concentrated to a fixed structure. Words or phrases following an extensive verb function as the verb's object; they work with the verb, not the subject. Extensive verbs are verbs used to describe subject's action, that is, it tells us what the subject is doing. Eg: He runs fast, my mother loves me.[/quote]

glourious wrote:Third: what's Verbals?
( and if it's possible to use simple examples)

The verbals are made of verbs but have the function of: nouns , adjectives and adverbs (they don't function as verbs). They are of three types:

1- Gerund (functions as nouns only), E.g. Studying French is what she chose
2-Participles (Present and Past) funtion as adjectives only. E.g. President Bush' s written speech is ethereal. The shouting baby is annoying me.
3- Infinitive (funtions as noun, adj and adv). E.g. It is helpful to see a psychiatrist
Ezinma
Ezinma

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by glourious Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:44 am

well..that makes it crystal clear to me. what can I say...glad to

have you here..thanks a lot Grammar questions 516962
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531