Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I need help.....! (understanding novels)

+6
faith forever!!
Nounette
Ezinma
Clear-headed
Hush
glourious
10 posters

Go down

I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Empty I think I need help.....! (understanding novels)

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Hello everybody, I hope you all are ok and having great times....
Actually, I think that my question will be strange but I've a problem with it, and my question is: Had you problems with understanding novels? I've started reading my first novel "Heart of darkness" and I got problems with it I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 7386 in first reading and 2nd one too, untill third one I started understanding, beside the use of the dictionary many times in one paragraphe!!!!! I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 89571 Imagine!
So, I really need a strategie to help me in reading novels...
Can anyone help me plz
I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 330741 ?!
thanks and read you....

Back to top Go down

I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Empty Re: I think I need help.....! (understanding novels)

Post by glourious Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello Angeleyes.
First, don't be surprised, it's a problem that we all faced when reading our first novels. I remember reading Hard Times which was my first novel,the first chapters, I was like... I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Icon_question but I kept reading even that was in a slow pace..but when you begin to understand the events and the story it would be a lot easier to read the rest.
Anyway try to use this tips it might help you:
- Use an E-book format of the book ( you can have it here: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/conrad/joseph/
- use "Wordweb" dectionary to make it easier and faster to translate words you can have it here:
http://download.cnet.com/WordWeb/3000-2279_4-10003201.html?part=dl-WordWeb&subj=dl&tag=button
with a single click on the right button of the mose+ Ctrl on any word= you got the meaning.
-you have to take notes each time you read a section from the novel.( to stay up to date all the time).
- try to read a short summary of the novel before reading it, But only if you were totally lost in the events of the story.(I don't want to ruin the fun and the "suspense" of reading a story.)
- keep a note book of the new words that you meet whie reading.reading is a great way to improve your vocabulary.
- Finally just don't give up and keep reading.

I hope that these tips would help you because it helped me before.

BEST REGARDS
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Empty Re: I think I need help.....! (understanding novels)

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:49 pm

You are THE BEST Glourious I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 330741 , thank you so so much bro, and I'll follow your instrucions I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 871413 .......you gave me hope when you said that it's the problem that faces all the students,thank you for that website of listening too, it's great.... thanks once again...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Hello, in fact what seems to be a problem for you Angeleyes is a step forwards learning. Actually, I don't think there's a single made strategy to do it. Read it as you feel it, that would be my little piece of advice; never underestimate your inner ability to understand. Allow yourself to take lead you for a while. I believe reading a novel is like having a journey, you don't need to know how to drive a boat or a plane to travel, just get on board then enjoy your journey. Of course some journeys are exciting, others are boring, but whatever and however the journey is, it's always an experience!
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Clear-headed Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello all,
Keep your chin up Angeleyes!
Since it's your first novel,you find it's way over your head. That surely normal.Plus, don't forget that you have a literary work;it's written by a professionnel.
In my mind,the best to read ,according to my humble experience, is the fast reading;read as fast as you can with focusing as much as possible on understanding the general meaning.In other words, don't stick to the singal words and try to go beyond the nerrow meaning of the words.In addition, don't check out every word you don't unerstand and try rather to read the again an again an again...til you
get the thread.
Good luck!
Clear-headed
Clear-headed

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:29 pm

I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Icon_smile Oh guys, thanks a lot, I'm so happy to find such brothers when I need them....Really wonderful, and YOU ARE THE BEST
welcome back HUSH "again", you too Clear-headed since you were absent those days..... I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) Icon_cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezinma Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello,

I don't have much to say Angle, since you've already got gorgeaous advice from our mates. I had the same experience actually, and reading my first novel in English wasn't a real fun. Many times I tried to give up, but as soon as I reached the middle of the book, the journey as Hush said was more exciting... though long and sometimes boring!

Enjoy your readings!

Last edited by Ezinma on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ezinma
Ezinma

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Thank you Ezinma, and I started enjoying my reading...thanks a lot guys I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 129195

Back to top Go down

Post by Nounette Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks Friends !! Personnally I Always Find That Reading A Novel Is Something Boring aierassi !! But Sometimes I Feel Obliged To Do That When Some Teachers Ask Us To Do So !!
]
Nounette
Nounette

Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2009-05-12

http://www.rasoulallah.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Nounette Blida wrote:
Thanks Friends !! Personnally I Always Find That Reading A Novel Is Something Boring aierassi !! But Sometimes I Feel Obliged To Do That When Some Teachers Ask Us To Do So !!
]

Do teachers in high school oblige you to read novels I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 7386
Would you please give me the name of the high school cause I wanna my kid to enrol there I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 547173
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Nounette Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Yes Sometimes Especially When I Was In The Middle School !! My Teacher Of French Obliged Us To Read Novels Then To Write ( L'affiche de L'ecture ) !! Now, We Are Not Obliged Since Many Pupils Are Not Interesting In Reading !! But I Do It For My Culture And My Goodness !!
Nounette
Nounette

Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2009-05-12

http://www.rasoulallah.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by faith forever!! Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 pm

the best advice I can think of is you have to like what you are reading otherwise you'll just get bord ...you also should focus on the biggest image try to skip unnecessary dialogues and concetrate on getting the whole meaning .....good luck
faith forever!!
faith forever!!

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by louli Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:03 am

soz hun... i'll im going to do is to follow what mates said bout reading novels... coz im juz like ya... ve got no interest in readin them
louli
louli

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2009-05-14

http://www.business.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mamado Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:49 pm

first hi engeleyes,don't worry because i think it is not a problem just try and try and don't read it word by word you should take just a general idea about the novel and read it with your own way.
mamado
mamado

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nacerpro Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Hello everybody,
A teacher of mine told us that to have a good reading and understanding about any novel you should know which literary movement the author or the novel belongs to. And then, when u read, u'll have better understanding and background. Sorry, I don't want to make it hard for you since it's urz 1st novel. But I'd like to help, that's all.
Enjoy reading and do not feel like u r obliged to.
Best luck.
Nacerpro
Nacerpro

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-05-15

http://www.Idon'thaveany.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks a lot guys for these advices.......you really helped me. I think I need help.....! (understanding novels) 330741

Back to top Go down

Post by V Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Trust me worst vice is advice
V
V

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down