Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English Vocabulary (differences)

+3
sabine
glourious
wonderland20
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

English Vocabulary  (differences) Empty English Vocabulary (differences)

Post by sassy86 Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi mates Smile I just like this teacher and her videos, she makes vocabulary and grammar so fascinating !!

sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

English Vocabulary  (differences) Empty Re: English Vocabulary (differences)

Post by wonderland20 Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:54 pm

She is a good teacher indeed. Thank you sassy for sharing English Vocabulary  (differences) 865413
wonderland20
wonderland20

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by glourious Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:20 pm

English teachintg, unlike the common belief, can be a very innovative job. It depends on your skill, creativity and motivation for this job.

glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I do agree with you Glourious ! When one teaches with the heart; it all becomes innovative as you've said Smile
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 pm

People versus Persons
There is some confusion regarding the two terms, especially because their meaning and usage suffered a mutation along the centuries. Both derive from Latin, but from different words.

Person derives from persona, which refers to an individual. People, on the other hand, derives from populum, and it refers to a group of persons sharing a culture or social environment.

Person is a singular form, and its plural is persons. Over the time, however, many writers started to adopt people as the plural form of person, and nowadays it is widely accepted. Notice that legal and very formal texts still use persons as the plural form.

One distinction that was proposed was to use persons as long as there was a countable number of individuals (e.g., 67 persons left the school) and people when such a number was large and indefinite (e.g., the people left the stadium quickly). The rule did not catch on, though, and some writers still use people even when there is a definite or small number of individuals.

Finally, people can also be used in the plural form (e.g., the peoples of Asia) when it refers to the different cultural groups that
live in a certain region.

Source:

www.dailywritingtips.com/people-versus-persons/
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Thu May 10, 2012 7:15 pm

The difference between "want" & "need"

sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Affect Versus Effect

English Vocabulary  (differences) Aardvark

What Is the Difference Between Affect and Effect?

Before we get to the memory trick though, I want to explain the difference between the two words.

It's actually pretty straightforward. The majority of the time you use affect with an a as a verb and effect with an e as a noun.

When Should You Use Affect?

Affect with an a means "to influence," as in, "The arrows affected Ardvark," or "The rain affected Amy's hairdo." Affect can also mean, roughly, "to act in a way that you don't feel," as in, "She affected an air of superiority."

When Should You Use Effect?

Effect with an e has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but to me the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's hairdo."

Common Uses of Affect and Effect

Most of the time affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun. So most of the time affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun. There are rare instances where the roles are switched, and I'll get to those later, but for now let's focus on the common meanings.
This is "Quick and Dirty" grammar, and my impression from your questions is that most people have trouble remembering the basic rules of when to use these words, so if you stick with those, you'll be right 95% of the time.

So, most of the time, affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun; and now we can get to the mnemonics. First, the mnemonic involves a very easy noun to help you remember: aardvark. Yes, if you can remember aardvark -- a very easy noun -- you'll always remember that affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun. Why? Because the first letters of "a very easy noun" are the same first letters as "affect verb effect noun!" That's a very easy noun. Affect (with an a) verb effect (with an e) noun.

"But why Aardvark?" you ask. Because there's also an example to help you remember. It's "The arrows affected Aardvark. The effect was eye-popping." It should be easy to remember that affect with an a goes with the a-words, arrow and aardvark, and that effect with an e goes with the e-word, eye-popping.
If you can visualize the sentences, "The arrows affected the aardvark.
The effect was eye-popping," it's pretty easy to see that affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun.

The illustration of the example is from my new book.
It's Aardvark being affected by arrows, and I think looking at it will help you remember the example sentences; and it's cute. You can print it out and hang it by your desk.

So a very easy noun will help you remember that affect with an a is a verb and effect with an e is a noun, and the example will help you see how to use both words in a sentence.

Rare Uses of Affect and Effect

So what about those rare meanings that don't follow the rules I just gave you? Well, affect can be used as a noun when you're talking about psychology--it means the mood that someone appears to have. For example, "She displayed a happy affect." Psychologists find it useful because they know that you can never really understand what someone else is feeling. You can only know how they appear to be feeling.

And, effect can be used as a verb that essentially means "to bring about," or "to accomplish." For example, you could say, "Aardvark hoped to effect change within the burrow."

SOURCE:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm

WANDER VS. WONDER

If you idly travel around, you wander. If you realize you’re lost, you wonder where you are.

wander Meaning(s)

• (v) move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
  • (v) go via an indirect route or at no set pace
  • (v) to move or cause to move in a sinuous, spiral, or circular course
  • (v) lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking
wonder Meaning(s)

• (n) the feeling aroused by something strange and surprising
  • (n) something that causes feelings of wonder
  • (n) a state in which you want to learn more about something
  • (v) have a wish or desire to know something
  • (v) place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
  • (v) be amazed at

SOURCE:
http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/wander_vs_wonder
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Thu May 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Especially VS. Specially?
This is a favorite question of grammar checkers. Most of the time there is little or no difference between the words especially and specially.

Special
is a common adjective. Specially is its adverb form. Special means "particular, distinguished in a distinct way, or designed for a particular purpose." Specially means "particularly, in a disintguishing manner, or for a particular purpose."

Especial is an uncommon adjective. Especially, its adverb form, is much more common. Especial means "exceptional, noteworthy, or particular." Especially means "exceptionally, in a noteworthy manner, or particularly."

In the sense of "particular" or "particularly," the words mean pretty
much the same thing. Often they can be used synonymously. However, if
you want to stress the exceptional or noteworthy quality, then especial or especially is a better choice. If you want to stress the distinctive purpose of something, then special or specially is the word you are looking for.

Example: This program has specially designed macros for word processors.

(A distinctive purpose)

Example: He did especially well in All-Star Game.

(A noteworthy performance)

SOURCE:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000287.htm
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm

What's a great post it is!! thank you darling. you're amazing. bless u English Vocabulary  (differences) 868265
sabine
sabine

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 pm

What is the Difference Between a CV and a Resume?

Is there a difference?

There are significant differences between the two documents, and if you plan to succeed in the employment market it is important that you are familiar with the features and uses of both. Let's go through them one at a time.

The differences in brief

At first glance, the differences between the two seem slight. Both consist of a structured list of facts that allows you to impart relevant information about your skills and achievements to an employer as quickly and simply as possible.

Although in essence they both serve the same purpose, the main difference between a CV and a resume is that a CV acts as a complete record of your professional history, while a resume is a short, targeted list of transferable skills and accomplishments, intended to show how you can be of specific benefit to the particular company to which you are applying.

As I mentioned earlier, throughout most of the world, the CV is the standard format for job applications. However, in the US, resumes are more common, and CVs are reserved almost completely for jobs in academia or when applying for grants. As a result, many international workers possess both a CV and a resume and choose between them as necessary.

In the following sections, I shall discuss the features of each type of document in more detail, and close with a brief look at how to decide which one is best for you.

Features of a CV

A CV, or Curriculum Vitae, to give it its Latin name, is an account of your entire education and employment history. The term translates as 'course of life', and it really is that - a record of your working life so far. It is far more detailed than a resume, from which elements are often excluded if they are considered irrelevant. A CV should include everything you've ever done, listed in reverse chronological order, to make it easier to prioritise more recent information. As a result, a CV is longer than a resume, although two pages is the recommended length.

Information in a CV is arranged according to subheadings, to make it easier for the reader to quickly skim through and find the information he or she needs. Remember, your CV is intended to let prospective employers find out about you in the hope that they will offer you a job, so it's in your interest to make it easy to understand!

The sections of a CV may include the following, although many sections can be moved up or down depending on what information is relevant for the specific job.

Profile/Objectives - a short statement, tailored to fit the requirements of the prospective employer;
Education/Qualifications - a list of institutions and courses, with grades awarded and dates attended;
Skills/Competencies - any skills or achievements that are relevant to the job. You can include most things, but be sensible - there is no need to mention the 10m swimming badge you got when you were six!
Career Summary - this should be the most detailed part, it can be moved higher up the document if necessary. Each job should have a short description of the skills you used and your achievements within the role. A few bullet points are sufficient, with more detailed accounts of more recent/relevant positions.

Features of a resume
A resume should be a shorter, more focused account of your relevant skills and achievements. Although the exact length of a resume is open to debate, in general it should not exceed one page in length, and it's safer to be conventional; after all, you want to get the job. It's fine to miss things out of a resume to keep the length down; you should only include the things that are most relevant to the position you are targeting. Resumes also often miss out some of the more personal details that CVs include, such as hobbies and interests.

As with CVs, resumes are usually organised into a few essential sections. However, one key difference between a CV and a resume is that resumes are focused on your skills and accomplishments, rather than providing an objective account of your history. As a result, resumes often feature aggrandising language, and tend to be more obviously self-promoting than CVs.

You can afford to be a bit less formal with the structure of a resume than with a CV, and there is a wider scope for creative presentation. That said, there are three main formats that are generally used:

Chronological - this is the most common format, and is very similar in organisation to a CV;
Functional - your skills/qualifications act as a backbone, around which the rest of the resume is structured;
Focused - as above, but with the content organised in relation to the targeted position.
It is often better to stick to one of these tried and tested formats than to attempt to wow an employer with your own unique design. These have a chance of backfiring if your reader doesn't like them, so why take the risk? The only time I could see the point of designing your own format is if you are entering a creative field, such as design.

What to use, and when to use it

The general rule to go by here is that if you are in America, use a resume, and if you are anywhere else in the world, use a CV. However, if you are applying for an academic position, or for a grant, it is better to send a CV, regardless of where you are. Things are further complicated by the rising popularity in the UK of short CVs, which, at less than two pages, are confusingly similar to a resume.

One of the main reasons to have a short CV was to stand out from the crowd, but almost everybody follows this model and it no longer has the same impact as it used to. As a result, the old style of CV is making a comeback, for the same reasons that it disappeared in the first place. Whether you choose to follow the trend, or stick with convention is up to you. Personally, I have both kinds, and I decide which version to send out on a per-company basis.

In fact, it is safer to make two versions anyway. Set aside some time and write yourself both a CV and a resume; it doesn't take much effort, and it means that you'll always have the correct document to hand, whatever you are asked for. You can even hire a copywriting agency to do it for you. Copywriters write both CVs and resumes on a regular basis, and will be familiar with the conventions of each. If you don't want to pay for a copywriter, have a look at some CV and resume samples and use them to help you write your own.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the difference between a CV and a resume. Whichever one you decide to go for, follow the conventions and write to the strengths of your chosen format, and the interviews should come flooding in. You'll soon be on your way to that dream job.

source: www.herdsofwords.co.uk
sabine
sabine

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 pm

That's a very pertinent post dear !! Thank you so much my lovely Sabine English Vocabulary  (differences) 865413
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by mimi cici Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Wow,Love it English Vocabulary  (differences) 865413
Thanks for sharing
mimi cici
mimi cici

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm

You're welcome Smile
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Today we're going to talk about the difference between the words “between” and “among.”

Between Versus Among

You may have noticed that I said we were going to talk about the difference between the words “between” and “among.” I used the word “between” because I was talking about a choice that involves two
distinct words.
Many people believe “between” should be used for choices involving two items and “among” for choices that involve more than two items. That can get you to the right answer some of the time, but it's not that simple
(1, 2, 3, 4).

Here's the deal: you can use the word “between” when you are talking about distinct, individual items even if there are more than two of them. For example, you could say, "She chose between Harvard, Brown, and Yale" because the colleges are individual items.

SOURCE:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-versus-among.aspx
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sabine Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi mates! do you really make the difference between a group and a team? Smile
before reading this article I did not.
Group vs Team

Group and Team may seem to sound similar but the term group and team are very different from each other. Though they may often be used interchangeably but it is important that we can distinguish one from the other so as to accurately provide the proper definition.
Group
A group is usually composed of 2-4 members that work interdependently with each other to a significant degree. They are committed to work together and willing to be handled by a leader. Though they are interdependent with each other but still they have individual responsibility that they have to perform, and that specific accountability, when done well, can help the group accomplish their goals.
Team
A team is considered to work interdependently and is committed to achieve one common goal. They share the responsibilities and deliver results until they reached the conceived output of their efforts. They are usually composed of 7-12 members and are helping each other to develop new skills to which it can help improve their performance. They don’t usually rely on a leader for supervision.
Difference between Group and Team
So which is better a team or a group? They basically are the same. Although a group is easier to manage and they are great for short term output, since they would divide the work amongst their skills, they can easily get the job done. A team on the other hand works best for long term projects, since they work together as a whole equally distributing the tasks at hand regardless if they have the proper skills or not. This paves the way for the each member of the team to have ample time to develop abilities that can further enhance their performance as a whole. Due to the span of time that the members spend with each other, it’s a good ground as well for camaraderie within the team.
It all boils down to the need for skills and performance. It may also be dependent on the complexity of a certain project, as to which would be more appropriate to form to have the end result delivered.

Sourcehttp://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-group-and-team/
sabine
sabine

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 pm

I didn't know that !! Thank you so much dear Sabine English Vocabulary  (differences) 500631
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Difference Between 'Some' and 'a Few'

‘Some’ and ‘A few’ are two words that are often confused when it comes to their usage. ‘Some’ is used as a determiner. It is in fact used with uncountable and plural nouns as in the sentence ‘I need some milk.’ Milk is uncountable and is a plural
noun as well. Hence the usage of ‘some’ is proper as in another example ‘He needs some medicine.’

It is interesting to note that ‘some’ used in questions especially when you expect affirmative answers as in the sentence ‘Could I have some white rice please?’ Here the speaker is very much expecting an affirmative answer from the person addressed. Look at the sentence ‘Would you like some more coffee?’ Again the person that has uttered this question expected ‘yes’ from the other person.

It is important to know that ‘some’ is used to express the idea of uncertainty or indefiniteness of something
as in the sentences:

1. I have got some great music cassettes with me.

2. Have you got any animals?

In the first sentence the speaker was not sure about his collection of music cassettes. He was uncertain. In the second sentence the speaker was not sure and certain about the collection of animals the other person had with him.

Grammar experts feel that the usage of ‘a few’ is almost closer to ‘some’ in the sense that it gives a positive
meaning when compared to the meaning of the word ‘few’ which means ‘literally nothing’. In other words it can be said that ‘a few’ gives the idea of ‘better than nothing’ and ‘more than expected’.

See the difference between the sentences ‘There are a few books in the shelf’ and ‘There are few books in the shelf’.
In the first sentence you get the idea that there are at least some books in the shelf. On the other hand in the second sentence you get the idea that there are no books at all in the shelf!

Also observe the two sentences:

1. You don’t need to go shopping. There are a few eggs in the refrigerator.

2. The theory advocated by the scientist was very difficult, but a few people understood it.

In the first sentence you get the idea that at least some eggs are available in the refrigerator which is better than nothing. In the second sentence you get the idea that there were at least some people who could understand the theory advocated by
the scientist.
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by mimi cici Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 am

The Difference between Deer / Dear

1-Deer: (singular and plural) are the ruminant mammals forming the family Cervidae. Species in the Cervidae family include white-tailed deer, mule deer such as black-tailed deer, elk, moose, red deer, reindeer (caribou), fallow deer, roe deer and chital. Male deer of all species (except the Chinese water deer) and also female reindeer grow and shed new antlers each year. In this they differ from permanently horned animals such as antelope; these are in the same order as deer and may bear a superficial resemblance. The musk deer of Asia and water chevrotain (or mouse deer) of tropical African and Asian forests are not usually regarded as true deer and form their own families, Moschidae and Tragulidae, respectively.

2-Dear: Pronunciation (US):
Dictionary entry overview: What does dear mean?
• DEAR (noun)
The noun DEAR has 2 senses:
1. a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
2. a sweet innocent mild-mannered person (especially a child)
Familiarity information: DEAR used as a noun is rare.

• DEAR (adjective)
The adjective DEAR has 4 senses:
1. dearly loved
2. with or in a close or intimate relationship
3. earnest
4. having a high price
Familiarity information: DEAR used as an adjective is uncommon.

• DEAR (adverb)
The adverb DEAR has 2 senses:
1. with affection
2. at a great cost
Familiarity information: DEAR used as an adverb is rare.
mimi cici
mimi cici

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm

"Bachelor's Degree" or "Bachelors Degree"?

How to write that someone was awarded a degree? Is it "bachelor's degree," "bachelors degree," or "bachelor
degree"?

A bachelor is not just a guy who eats out a lot, but also a person who has earned a type of degree from a university or college. Think of the degree as the property of the bachelor, with the apostrophe-s indicating possession: It is a bachelor's degree.

The same is true for a master: He or she earns a master's degree.

You don't use capital letters, unless you're writing the formal name of a particular degree:

• John earned a bachelor's degree in ant behavior.

• John has a Bachelor of Science Degree in the Behavioral Dynamics of Edible Ants.

sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I.E. VS. E.G. (Truth be told, I myself keep mixing them up English Vocabulary  (differences) 766159 )

I.E. - What Does i.e. Mean?

"I.e." stands simply for "that is," which written out fully in Latin is 'id est'. "I.e." is used in place of "in other words," or "it/that is." It specifies or makes more clear.

E.G. - What Does e.g. Mean?

"E.g." means "for example" and comes from the Latin expression exempli gratia, "for the sake of an example," with the noun exemplum in the genitive (possessive case) and singular to go with gratia in the ablative
(prepositional case) singular. "E.g." is used in expressions similar to
"including," when you are not intending to list everything that is
being discussed.
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by KaDer Dx Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Complete or Finshed
What's the Question?

Only after Islam comes do we understand the meaning of words on a deeper level.

Consider these two words: COMPLETE and FINISHED

English dictionaries do not seem to make much distinction between these two words. Often times you will find them listing the words as similar meanings to each other.

However, when we study the relationship of marriage to the religion in Islam, we find that marriage completes a person's deen (way of life).

And having more than one wife at a time can do even more, as follows.

This is what someone sent to me and it really made me chuckle:

No dictionary in English seems to properly explain the difference between these words "COMPLETE" and "FINISHED". Some people even say, "There is no difference between "COMPLETE" and "FINISHED".

However, in Islam we are able to better understand the difference between them and more important, the combination of them together.

According to what we know in Islam:

"When a man marries the right woman - He is COMPLETE"

And . .

"When a man marries the wrong woman - He is FINISHED"

And more . .

"When the right woman catches him with the wrong woman - He is COMPLETELY FINISHED"

Enjoy this life in moderation and hope for the best in the Next Life from your Creator . .

Peace - Salam alaykum.

KaDer Dx

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm

MachaAllah very nice Abd El Kader !! So proud of you! (Long time no see, I hope you're doing okay and that everything went okay for the rest of your exams Smile Take much care
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by EmilySo Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:40 am

Hello mates, Smile
can you give me some explanations about SO AS/SO AS TO.
I'm little bit wondering where can I put them and is they have the same function??!! Rolling Eyes
I need just clarification.

With my sweet greetings English Vocabulary  (differences) 317362
EmilySo
EmilySo

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi sweet Emily Smile

SO AS and SO AS TO both denote purpose (answering the question why?)

SO AS TO is a synonym of in order to and therefore it should be used directly before an infinitive verb.

SO AS has got the same meaning as SO AS TO, but it is not used before an infinitive verb. They have the same meaning but they are used differently according to the grammatical structure of your sentence.
(It's my own humble explanation)

Example: I hope you shall receive honorable requital of his amicable ambassade so as you shall have no cause to regret his arrival

Example repeated aloud so as there'd be no chance of a mistake
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum