Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I NEED HELP PLEAS

2 posters

Go down

I NEED HELP PLEAS Empty I NEED HELP PLEAS

Post by imy Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi every one. Anyone who can help me to understand topicalism and universialism?????
imy
imy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

I NEED HELP PLEAS Empty Re: I NEED HELP PLEAS

Post by Hush Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Hello, here's a conversation I've had with a friend about the matter, I hope it will help you.

B:i think there is no huge difference, topicalism that concerns with a specific subject could be universal, of course what is universal applies to be topical. anyone can take an issue and project it onto his situation and say this is topical, you can take all kinds of oppression or knowledge issues and make as many themes as you can; for feminism, arabs, muslims, jews, colored, blacks, indians, poors, for example the issue of loss, identity ,meaning are so universal , so to say but , you can take them as very topical; eg, as a black diaspora and it's consequences before that as a jew diaspora and the famous story now as modernity and post modernity in society and th eloss of authentic culture, blablabla
Toni morrison wrote Paradise about oppressed women, they go and live far but then they're seen as whitches and they are killed, i can take that as a feminist theme but most of these women were blacks, one indian, ie native am, and one white, they all shared the will for freedom. well i can say it's the universal story of power, the blacks for independence, the native amercan for land and survial, the white for the antisemitic problem. if you put a woman or a colored or an immigrant at a certain time or space , it doesnt mean that the theme is topical

A:That enhance my starting thought. I don't believe in what's called "topical". Nothing can be "special", It's the perspective that makes it so, as if you zoom on something; If you zoom on a spicefic place it doesn't mean the other places are kept away, they exist even with their silence, thier shadow is there, they are even necessary for the existence of the "topic". This "topicality" exists because universality exists and vice versa

B: you mean that none exits

A:Yeah it's a false dechotomy, they can't be separated because they exist because of their relation (a seeming opposition)
Looking to it from above they don't exist
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by imy Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.You said that they are false dichotomy(i have understood why), but do you mean that any attempt to study them as verses will fail????
imy
imy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum