Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Father and the Jasmine Tree

+4
Londonhbb
bilinda
paris-girl
Thewolf
8 posters

Go down

My Father and the Jasmine Tree Empty My Father and the Jasmine Tree

Post by chinda Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 pm

My Father and the Jasmine Tree

He was a successful butcher, but when threats started haunting him, he closed his shop in the time when most of the Algerians became “butchers”; when the lamb became more expensive than the human flesh; when the human heads and limbs became as leftovers thrown apart for the dogs and the enemies of serenity to bite. But after the cessation of that fire, life came back to the dead-like people who expected every single night the knives to cross their necks, and with it life came back to the closed shop of my father; he restored his job as it was the only thing he could do which he inherited from his father who inherited it himself from his father. Each evening when my father came back home dead tired from his work, he sat on a bench underneath a jasmine tree to take some rest and sip some black coffee.

There was a peculiar relation between my father and the jasmine tree; he was obsessed by it; he loved it like a woman who entered his life without tapping on the arteries of his heart. He used to sit for hours beneath or beside that tree in summer’s nights without forgetting to fill his lungs by its scent before going to his bedroom like the one who tries to fill his lungs by air as possible as he can before diving into the sea. It was out of doubt that my father was enamoured with the jasmine tree. It was true that he loved all the trees of his garden and took care of them as if they were his children and used to say: “If you love a tree, it will love you for it feels your love”, but his love for the jasmine tree exceeded all the limits to the edge of making my mother feel jealous from it for she was sure that the jasmine tree shared her my father’s heart. I sometimes felt that my mother was crazy or a kind of insanity was creeping into her mind; how could she feel jealous from a tree?! But maybe she was right as she knew the story of that tree and the secret of my father’s love for it, for that she hated the tree and detested the one who sowed it. I still remember her face when she saw my father tickling the leaves of the jasmine tree and fondling its white flowers like a paramour who stroked the hair of his lover and patted her face.

The jasmine tree shared my father everything; his agonies and anguishes, his happiness and thrill. Whenever he faced a problem or the ghost of sadness found its way to his heart, he sat underneath it looking at it as if venting his burden; it could alleviate his melancholy with a graceful shake of its branches. Even when he felt happy and exited, he never forgot his tree and shared those moments with it; picking its flowers, smelling them and giving them to us saying: “Smell; smell the jasmine, really its odour can heal the sick heart!”

In fact the jasmine tree was not ours, it was our neighbours' but most of its lush branches were leaning on the wall of our veranda as if it was going to hug someone and whisper something in his ear or like a languid jaded lady who leaned on that wall to take a pause and catch her breaths after a long journey. It was sowed twenty years ago or thereabouts by a beautiful woman named Yassmine; she was my father’s cousin who lived just next to him; there was a wall that separated their houses but a destiny that separated their lives. Both of Yassmine and my father grew up and with them grew up a seed which was planted in their hearts since their childhood and bloomed in a beautiful flower in the spring of their lives, its name was love. Both of them opened their hearts on the love of the other one like the boys and the girls of that time who didn’t find a shelter but in their cousins’ hearts.
Yassmine sprouted in a beautiful flower to become the desire of many hands who longed to pick it, but my father was the winner, or as he thought, for he dared one day and asked his father to ask Yassmine’s hand for him. Things went just like love had decided and Yassmine was deemed as my father’s future wife, but fate, as it is always the enemy of love, poked its nose to mar the beautiful dream and kill the baby in its gestation; an affair of heritage separated the two lovers and raised a war between their families. After that my father and Yassmine couldn’t see each other except when a coincidence drew a meeting for them.
Yassmine was married from the first man he was proposed to her and my father from the first woman; my mother, whom his mother picked up for him. But, at least for my father, that beautiful flower didn’t wither; it stood growing inside that blessed ground of his heart. For that my father was enchanted by that tree; it reminded him by the first and maybe the last woman who invaded his heart, and for that he used to say “Smell the jasmine, it cures the sick heart”, he meant his heart and the solely woman who had the curative power to cure his anguishes.

My father died in autumn with the first fall of the white flowers of the jasmine tree. The next spring wasn’t like the previous one for that tree as it didn’t flower in abundance like it was in the days of my father as if it was sad for the loss of my father. In summer nights, its branches rustled mournfully making the small flowers falling on the bench my father used to sit on as if it missed the one who used to take care of it and spend long hours beside it under the light of summer’s starry sky. Even in its sorrow, the jasmine tree was alluring like a woman who wore a white dress instead of a black one in her mourning for the loss of a dear person and cast its sad flowers on his chair as if putting a wreath on his grave wishing him a long, serene sleep.
chinda
chinda

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

My Father and the Jasmine Tree Empty Re: My Father and the Jasmine Tree

Post by Thewolf Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 am

An old man draw me a heart on the dust, then crossed it by a line and he said to me: Look, You may not get married with the woman you adore, but she will take a half of your heart untill you die, and the other half will be for the mother of your children.

I think this is what happned to your father Chinda ( father in your story).

I swim in the space whenever I'm reading a story of yours, you're the best writer ever!
Thewolf
Thewolf

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by paris-girl Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

you are the greatest chinda , crazy loving your stories , patiently waiting for more .... please keep on shining ! sunny My Father and the Jasmine Tree 871413
paris-girl
paris-girl

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks a lot, dears, for your encouraging words, I really appreciate it from you!
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by bilinda Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Hello dear chinda, as usual you write like great writers. Congratulation for the imagination granted to you by GOD. wish you all the best.
bilinda
bilinda

Number of posts : 250

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonhbb Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:54 am

Chinda, u know that I like ur style. Yet, I didn't like this sentence :
"But maybe she was right as she knew the story of that tree and the secret of my father’s love for it". U limited the reader's passion. Let the reader discover it without anticipating it Wink
• What if u use some conversations between characters ?! wouldn't be better ?!

Keep on fascinating us dear chinda

Though literary writings r not my cup of tea. Still, I'm a tasteful fan of it
Londonhbb
Londonhbb

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks dear Bilinda for your sweet words!
Londonhbb, I was really glad to read your comments, and I will, for sure, take your advices into consideration, thanks!
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by assi4ever Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

thanks as usual machallah
assi4ever
assi4ever

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-02-01

http://douaa.forumalgerie.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Belkacem Meghzouchene Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello, Chinda!

I was pleased to sift through your short-story. I really liked it. Yet, some punctuations have been either forgotten or misplaced! I suggest you to read the master of short-stories: O.Henry, a way of improving your writing skills beyond bonds of French thinking; I mean, I've the impression that you were buffering your words and sentences in French, before you wrote them in English! Anyway, try to write something that you don't automatically link to fatherhood or nostalgia! Think about coming up with a short-story as much neutral from your throes!

See you

Belkacem Meghzouchene

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Delighted I am that you liked my short-story, Belkacem Meghzouchene. Thanks a lot for passing and for the advices, I really appreciate it from you!
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by wonderland20 Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 am

Chindaaaaa , won't be there My Father and the Jasmine Tree 2. I really loooved your story and passion, u r a shining star Chinda, a true artist!. Keep up the good work <3
wonderland20
wonderland20

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down