Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get prepared for Magister contest?

+6
imy
melpomene
Amir
Ezinma
hamlet
Hush
10 posters

Go down

magister - How to get prepared for Magister contest? Empty How to get prepared for Magister contest?

Post by Hush Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 pm

First we have to know where can we pass the Magister contest and what are the different kinds of contests that we can try.

There are two main academic contests, the Magister contest and the doctoral school contest ( Ecole Doctorale). The difference between the Magister in the classical school and Doctoral School is that in the first we are taught mainly by Algerians, we have a theoritical year and then we should write a thesis or strictly speaking a memoir. It's generally a lighter programe ( in terms of time) comparing with that of the doctoral school, since there are less modules or (seminars) to have. For the Doctoral School there are two parts, the Algerian part and the Foreign part (be it French or English), so when you have a module it's taught by an Algerian than by a foreigner (Generally standing figures in the field).

Doctoral schools differ fromone place to another,for example in Algiers the Doctoral school of translation is two years of theory plus a thesis. In the doctoral school we're normally registered for a Magister+ Doctorat. In terms of knowledge I guess there is no big difference and the only difference is made by the student himself. It is most of the time rude and we have to pass through a lot of obstacles, but sometimes it's worth the struggle!

The access conditions for the contest differ from town to town and from department to another. For example at Bouzeriah there are no conditions but to have a degree in English. Whereas in translation department for Doctoral School there are plenty of conditions (which are sometimes absurd), you have to be a graduate either from the translation department or the other languages departments, to have more than 12 as a general level and more than 13 in arabic as a general level of arabic in the three first years of licence studies. You should not have succedded in the retake exam and an age-limit is determined!

Thank Allah this year we'll have the Magister contest in our departement prepared by our teahcers, so we won't be dismissed because we didn't have the same curriculum as in other places (even if a Magister contender should be well aware about the field he's contending in even if he didn't study that during his curriculum).

There are other places around the country where you can try the Magister contest.

There's Oran, Boumerdas, Telemcen, Sidi Belabess, Constantine ...

I'll post later how the one may revise for the Magister contest.

If you have any questions you're welcome to ask them. (Of course I'll answer if I am informed about the answer).
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

magister - How to get prepared for Magister contest? Empty Re: How to get prepared for Magister contest?

Post by hamlet Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssss

hamlet

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

magister - How to get prepared for Magister contest? Empty Re: How to get prepared for Magister contest?

Post by Ezinma Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 am

Wonderful thank you, but I have a question. They say in Blida there's only African Literature, Britich Civilisation and English lit as fields. So my question is are we gonna be contended in all these fields, or we choose. I'm sorry I don't know much about it! so please help!
Ezinma
Ezinma

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:30 am

I am afraid I can't help, I am really ignorant when it comes to the magister of Blida snifou1
Hush
Hush

Back to top Go down

Post by Amir Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks a 1000000 Mr HUch
Amir
Amir

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am

To revise for the MA contest one have to built up a strategy, an effective and efficient one. For example if one wants to pass Bouzeriah's contest exam he should do the following:

1- Choosing the field where one intends to contend. Either linguistics and didactics or Literature and civilisation

2- Let's say one has chosen Literature and Civilisation. Normally there are 3 civilisations ( Am, Bri and Af) and 3 Literatures ( Am, Br and Af). But it's quite difficult to prepare all of them so one may choose two literatures and two civilisations.

3- Now let's admit that someone has chosen, for the civ you can move chronologically but what matters is to understand how the events are related. You should anticipate the proplematics that might be contest questions. If you can't see the relation between events and you learn just by heart be sure you'll be out of topic since the contest is gonna be an analytical question that needs personal reflection and analysis. Nevertheless your personal reflection should not be based on speculations, you should have read quite a lot of interessting articles about varied topics.

For the Lit there should be a strategy too. Generally, in order not to say always, there's a question where you should use more than one work. What you should do when revising is trying to join themes together and join works together. For example if you have to read Fitzgerald, you have to read Hemingway too, so you can illustrate using two works.

I can't say exactly what you have to do but I can say what you shoulkd avoid:
- Avoid non-structered essays
- Avoid to make of your paper a melting pot of everydays issues.
- Avoid to make of your lit paper a sociological or historical paper ( i.e speaking without illustrations and louding it with theories)
- Avoid bad-handwriting, your paper isn't the only one which should be read.
Hush
Hush

Back to top Go down

Post by melpomene Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

hey!is it true that there won't be english lit in this m.a?
melpomene
melpomene

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by imy Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks a lot hush.May you give us the novels that we have to read in order to pass this contest?
imy
imy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello Imy, actually there are no specific novels that should have been read, but just that some novels are more known from students and others are considered to be canonical. What should be done is reading as much novels as possible but most of all making relations between them and being aware about the problematics they tackle. Mastering four novels is better than reading twenty without understanding the connection between them and the things they expose.
Hush
Hush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks Hush...but I'll demanding and ask you if you would provide us with some resources..any thing you see usefull..books,articles, websites..and it would be wonderfull if they were about (for me) American Lit and Am Civ. Thank you very much indeed

Back to top Go down

Post by imy Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks a lot hush.I try to work with it.I have a year ahead to get prepared for this contest,
i hope i will pass it.
imy
imy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:39 am

I wish the best of luck and success to those who are going to pass the MR exam , good luck dear mates may Allah be with you . jouliya
Butterfly
Butterfly

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by meriam Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Hye,
I have this question about modules of MA contest in Algers ,if you choose Am civ,so it is Am lit that matches with it ....Im i right ????!! please answer me.
Best regards. magister - How to get prepared for Magister contest? 129195

meriam

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by cookie Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:43 pm

thnx huuuuuuuuuuuush so mutch 4 the info

meriam i don't think so
cookie
cookie

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by manar Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello,Yeah very true ,that's an interesting topic ,I liked it a lot.

But also,we have to look for previous exams I mean samples too.

so do you have any samples of Civ magister
regards
manar
manar

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 am

Read the topics of this category in the forum and you'll find many.
Hush
Hush

Back to top Go down

Post by manar Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 pm

ok..thanks brother
manar
manar

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down