Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i need help please

2 posters

Go down

i need help please Empty i need help please

Post by bilinda Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm

hello mates,
i really need your help: i want to know the difference between TEXTUAL COMMENTARY AND TEXTUAL ANALYSIS.
thanks Crying or Very sad
bilinda
bilinda

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

i need help please Empty Re: i need help please

Post by sassy86 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Bilinda. Your question is a bit hard, not because there is no answer for it or that there is no difference between the two. Only because people tend to see them as being the same thing.

When some mates ask me to read their papers on literature, I often tell them "but this is not criticism." All what they were writing was a commentary. One think to keep in mind: Criticism = textual analysis

When we were taught criticism, we were often told to be analytical.
Analysis is part of literary criticism. We analyse a passage, or more (passages), or the text as a whole. We analyse the structure of the text, the adopted literary style. A literary text is composed of passages (parts), right? These passages are the constituent elements of the text, right? In the same way, style, meaning (themes), all sorts of devices used, are the constituent elements of the literary text that are to be analysed. (How does form affect meaning is also part of what we stydy in an analysis, a textual analysis as it is.

As for the commentary, the reason why you'll find everywhere that people think it's the same it's because they do study and include (if not mixing up) certain features of textual analysis within their commentary believing that what they are doing is criticism or that textual analysis is the same as a commentary.

I can't really say that a commentary will be giving your own appreciation on a text or your point of view concerning why the author did this or said this or adopted this style. A commentary does not deeply study ('analyse') a text as criticism (or textual analysis ) does; simply because it doesn't have the 'sharp' tools we use in criticism or analysis. I will just say that a commentary is giving your interpretation, or explanation (I prefer the latter) on a text. Giving a commentary may of course deal with the themes, context and the meaning of the text (but this does not require dealing with further or deeper stylistic or analytic elements of the text).
When I ask you to give me a textual commentary, all I expect from you is to show me how well you have understood the text.

What we are concerned in textual analysis is the HOW (how does the author succeed to achieve this or that) And this is why criticism is harder than giving a comment.
Maybe the only difficult thing in textual commentary is to pick up the elements and features of the text which have something to say.

Sorry if my explanation is too long Razz

P.S.: There is a technique in criticism called close reading (which was introduced by I.A. Richards). This technique is often considered as synonym of literary commentary (This is partly true. In close reading we read passages and comment them in order to find an interpretation or an explanation for the text. So you see, it's all about meaning. Once again a comment serves showing that you've understood the text's general meaning. )
sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bilinda Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot sassy for your help. I appreciate it. The problem is that i need to know the difference between analysing and commenting historical texts in british civilization. If it were literature it would be something easy especially with the close textual reading that is central to new criticism. thanks again for your help and precious time. May Allah reward you. i need help please 129195
bilinda
bilinda

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi again. You're welcome. Wish I could do more but...
As for civilization, this is all I could find concerning textual commentary (it explains all the steps ...etc)

http://seacoast.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0tmc/fre320/commentary.htm
http://seacoast.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0tmc/occupied/tca2001.htm

Salam
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi again Bilinda Smile While I was arraging my papers I found this and I think it's just what you needed. It was Mr Rich who gave it to us and he's very good at selecting good documents of methodology

i need help please 563757commenting1

i need help please 267480commenting2

i need help please 537559commenting3
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by bilinda Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm

sassy thanks a lot. only GOD can reward you. thanks again
bilinda
bilinda

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm

May Allah protect you dear. Good luck Smile (Do you need a thesis proposal in civilization?? I have got a sample with me and it's a very good one, a teacher from Tizi-Ouzou gave it to me. If you need it I'll scan it for you.
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum