Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher

3 posters

Go down

The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher Empty The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher

Post by sassy86 Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 pm

The Iron Lady
The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher Margaret_thatcher_iron_ohp_poster-p2283737621022748358569f_210

The 'iron lady' is the nickname often attributed to Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister of the United
Kingdom from 1979 to 1990. The appellation is used to refer to those qualities of strong will and authority. Thatcher was
indeed determined to improve financial sectors. She won popularity as she decreased unemployment and contributed to an economic recovery which favored her re-election in 1983.

A Conservative minister remarked that she "carried the authority of her office always with her. It was in her handbag….She was asserting it the whole time." Just as Chamberlain had had his umbrella and Churchill his cigar,
Margaret Thatcher's physical and metaphorical prop was her handbag. It contained crumpled notes full of facts and figures that could floor an interlocutor at 20 paces. "She cannot see an institution without hitting it with her handbag," another observer wrote.

The "handbagger"—prime minister for 11 years, six months and 24 days (1979-90)—turned around the ruinously ailing British economy of the 1970s and shook the nation out of its demoralized slough. She broke the mold—she was the
first woman prime minister in Europe and the longest-serving head of government in Britain in the 20th century
. She achieved iconic status in the Conservative Party and, as the country's representative, internationally.

The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher -other-things-meryl-streep-as-margaret-thatcher-in-the-iron-lady

"Thatcherism" became a label not just for her aggressive "conviction" politics but also a byword for the changed spirit of the 1980s.

By virtue of her social and nonconformist religious background she was an outsider in the patrician Conservative Party. By her heretical economic views she was a minority voice. By her individualism in the notoriously clubby world of politics, she generated suspicion. By her behavior in the European arena, she made heads of state bristle. By her very handbag, that symbol of femininity, she stood out from the male crowd of politicians. And by the fact that she wielded it with such masculine force she seemed an aberration of genteel womanhood.

Many films and documentaries have been made about this strong willed woman who became an example, if not a monument, for female heads of government and other 'iron ladies' like:
Yulia Tymoshenko, the former Ukrainian Prime Minister or Angela Merkel current Chancellor of Germany...etc

Sources:

http://www.who2.com/margaretthatcher.html
http://www.historynet.com/margaret-thatcher-iron-lady.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Lady
sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher Empty Re: The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher

Post by Blidi Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the information
Blidi
Blidi

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-09-11

http://www.blida-english.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by glourious Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Ohhhhh myyyy Gooooooood !! I had nightmares about Thatcher during the days I was writing my theses about her political power....I read every book about her, all her videos, documentaries and speaches (some of which you have provided me with Sassy) .....maaaannnn!.... she was really a strong politician..even the Russian couldn't handle her :p ...&....me neither :p

Thaks for reminding me sassy :p
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 pm

@ Blidi : you're welcome brother Smile
@ glourious :i was waiting for your post!! Laughing it was a 'clin d'oeil' actually, to see if you still remember Lady Thatcher, i see that you still do Twisted Evil
I wonder if you dreamt of her handbag Rolling Eyes kidding.

It seems it was the Russian media who gave her this nickname . You can lecture us more than i can possibly do on the matter, if you're not still traumatized
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by glourious Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:08 pm

hello again !!! believe me Sassy Thatcher is the most interesting political figure anyone can ever deal with. Everything about her: her character, her political philosophy and her strength and determination to carry out her plans for Britain are just amazing.
I'll be back to tell you some of the most interesting things I learnt about her...because now I need to run
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you so much dear sassy. There's a good reflection of Thatcher in this forum.........Do you know her, sassy? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi sweet Hadiya, I'm so happy that you liked it Very Happy
Euh, a reflection? Yes you are one of those iron ladies I admire The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher 865413 And if you mean me; The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher 766159 this is just the best compliment one can give me Razz
Just kidding The Iron Lady...Margaret Thatcher 471538
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 pm

sassy86 wrote:Hi sweet Hadiya, I'm so happy that you liked it Very Happy
this is just the best compliment one can give me Razz

You're so witty, sassy86. No one can rival you. I bet anyone who opposes this idea. What do you think ?

Last edited by Guermoud Hadiya on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Oh that's so kind of you sister, to think so high of me <3 same here. Though I'm just standing on a hill compared to others who are on mountains.

" Power is like being a lady... if you have to tell people you are, you aren't." Margaret Thatcher
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Never be on a higher mountain...You see people small from high and they see you small from the foot of the mountain. It's better to stay with them at their height on a little hill.... Is it sufficent to describe you dearest Sassy86?

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:35 pm

God! I'm speechless, it's too much Embarassed Bless you sweet Hadiya, just hope i'll be at the level of your expectations my sister.
sassy86
sassy86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum