Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here The story of the day

+20
MaGGiE
sandrilla
faith.im
nabih35
beowulf
burself
Nacerpro
Nounette
IRON LADY
cookie
Londonhbb
glourious
JOKER
jamie
darkness
NANA
Thewolf
am333
Big brother
Hush
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Here The story of the day Empty Here The story of the day

Post by Hush Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 am

Three Questions - by Leo Tolstoy

One day it occurred to a certain emperor that if he only knew the answers to three questions, he would never stray in any matter.

What is the best time to do each thing? Who are the most important people to work with? What is the most important thing to do at all times?

The emperor issued a decree throughout his kingdom announcing that whoever could answer the questions would receive a great reward. Many who read the decree made their way to the palace at once, each person with a different answer.

In reply to the first question, one person advised that the emperor make up a thorough time schedule, consecrating every hour, day, month, and year for certain tasks and then follow the schedule to the letter. Only then could he hope to do every task at the right time.

Another person replied that it was impossible to plan in advance and that the emperor should put all vain amusements aside and remain attentive to everything in order to know what to do at what time.

Someone else insisted that, by himself, the emperor could never hope to have all the foresight and competence necessary to decide when to do each and every task and what he really needed was to set up a Council of the Wise and then to act according to their advice.

Someone else said that certain matters required immediate decision and could not wait for consultation, but if he wanted to know in advance what was going to happen he should consult magicians and soothsayers.

The responses to the second question also lacked accord.

One person said that the emperor needed to place all his trust in administrators, another urged reliance on priests and monks, while others recommended physicians. Still others put their faith in warriors.

The third question drew a similar variety of answers. Some said science was the most important pursuit. Others insisted on religion. Yet others claimed the most important thing was military skill.

-------------------------------

The emperor was not pleased with any of the answers, and no reward was given.

After several nights of reflection, the emperor resolved to visit a hermit who lived up on the mountain and was said to be an enlightened man. The emperor wished to find the hermit to ask him the three questions, though he knew the hermit never left the mountains and was known to receive only the poor, refusing to have anything to do with persons of wealth or power. So the emperor disguised himself as a simple peasant and ordered his attendants to wait for him at the foot of the mountain while he climbed the slope alone to seek the hermit.

Reaching the holy man's dwelling place, the emperor found the hermit digging a garden in front of his hut. When the hermit saw the stranger, he nodded his head in greeting and continued to dig. The labor was obviously hard on him. He was an old man, and each time he thrust his spade into the ground to turn the earth, he heaved heavily.

The emperor approached him and said, "I have come here to ask your help with three questions: When is the best time to do each thing? Who are the most important people to work with? What is the most important thing to do at all times?"

The hermit listened attentively but only patted the emperor on the shoulder and continued digging. The emperor said, "You must be tired. Here, let me give you a hand with that." The hermit thanked him, handed the emperor the spade, and then sat down on the ground to rest.

After he had dug two rows, the emperor stopped and turned to the hermit and repeated his three questions. The hermit still did not answer, but instead stood up and pointed to the spade and said, "Why don't you rest now? I can take over again." But the emperor continued to dig. One hour passed, then two. Finally the sun began to set behind the mountain. The emperor put down the spade and said to the hermit, "I came here to ask if you could answer my three questions. But if you can't give me any answer, please let me know so that I can get on may way home."

The hermit lifted his head and asked the emperor, "Do you hear someone running over there?" The emperor turned his head. They both saw a man with a long white beard emerge from the woods. He ran wildly, pressing his hands against a bloody wound in his stomach.

The man ran toward the emperor before falling unconscious to the ground, where he lay groaning. Opening the man's clothing, the emperor and hermit saw that the man had received a deep gash. The emperor cleaned the wound thoroughly and then used his own shirt to bandage it, but the blood completely soaked it within minutes. He rinsed the shirt out and bandaged the wound a second time and continued to do so until the flow of blood had stopped.

At last the wounded man regained consciousness and asked for a drink of water. The emperor ran down to the stream and brought back a jug of fresh water. Meanwhile, the sun had disappeared and the night air had begun to turn cold. The hermit gave the emperor a hand in carrying the man into the hut where they laid him down on the hermit's bed. The man closed his eyes and lay quietly. The emperor was worn out from the long day of climbing the mountain and digging the garden. Leaning against the doorway, he fell asleep. When he rose, the sun had already risen over the mountain. For a moment he forgot where he was and what he had come here for. He looked over to the bed and saw the wounded man also looking around him in confusion. When he saw the emperor, he stared at him intently and then said in a faint whisper, "Please forgive me."

"But what have you done that I should forgive you?" the emperor asked.

"You do not know me, your majesty, but I know you. I was your sworn enemy, and I had vowed to take vengeance on you, for during the last war you killed my brother and seized my property. When I learned that you were coming alone to the mountain to meet the hermit, I resolved to surprise you on your way back to kill you. But after waiting a long time there was still no sign of you, and so I left my ambush in order to seek you out. But instead of finding you, I came across your attendants, who recognized me, giving me this wound. Luckily, I escaped and ran here. If I hadn't met you I would surely be dead by now. I had intended to kill you, but instead you saved my life! I am ashamed and grateful beyond words. If I live, I vow to be your servant for the rest of my life, and I will bid my children and grandchildren to do the same. Please grant me your forgiveness."

The emperor was overjoyed to see that he was so easily reconciled with a former enemy. He not only forgave the man but promised to return all the man's property and to send his own physician and servants to wait on the man until he was completely healed. After ordering his attendants to take the man home, the emperor returned to see the hermit. Before returning to the palace the emperor wanted to repeat his three questions one last time. He found the hermit sowing seeds in the earth they had dug the day before.

The hermit stood up and looked at the emperor. "But your questions have already been answered."

"How's that?" the emperor asked, puzzled.

"Yesterday, if you had not taken pity on my age and given me a hand with digging these beds, you would have been attacked by that man on your way home. Then you would have deeply regretted not staying with me. Therefore the most important time was the time you were digging in the beds, the most important person was myself, and the most important pursuit was to help me. Later, when the wounded man ran up here, the most important time was the time you spent dressing his wound, for if you had not cared for him he would have died and you would have lost the chance to be reconciled with him. Likewise, he was the most important person, and the most important pursuit was taking care of his wound. Remember that there is only one important time and is Now. The present moment is the only time over which we have dominion. The most important person is always the person with whom you are, who is right before you, for who knows if you will have dealings with any other person in the future. The most important pursuit is making that person, the one standing at you side, happy, for that alone is the pursuit of life."

Leo Tolstoy
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Here The story of the day Empty here The story of the day

Post by Big brother Fri May 15, 2009 9:35 pm

The Sick Lion

A Lion had come to the end of his days and lay sick unto death at the mouth of his cave, gasping for breath. The animals, his subjects, came round him and drew nearer as he grew more and more helpless. When they saw him on the point of death they thought to themselves: ‘Now is the time to pay off old grudges.’ So the Boar came up and drove at him with his tusks; then a Bull gored him with his horns; still the Lion lay helpless before them: so the Ass, feeling quite safe from danger, came up, and turning his tail to the Lion kicked up his heels into his face. ‘This is a double death,’ growled the Lion.
Only cowards insult dying majesty.

enjoy your story

Big brother

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Here The story of the day Empty Love and Time

Post by am333 Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

LOVE AND TIME
Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others, including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so all constructed boats and left. Except for Love.

Love was the only one who stayed. Love wanted to hold out until the last possible moment.

When the island had almost sunk, Love decided to ask for help.

Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said,
"Richness, can you take me with you?"
Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."

Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel. "Vanity, please help me!"
"I can't help you, Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat," Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by so Love asked, "Sadness, let me go with you."
"Oh . . . Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!"

Happiness passed by Love, too, but she was so happy that she did not even hear when Love called her.

Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come, Love, I will take you." It was an elder. So blessed and overjoyed, Love even forgot to ask the elder where they were going. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went her own way. Realizing how much was owed the elder,

Love asked Knowledge, another elder, "Who Helped me?"
"It was Time," Knowledge answered.
"Time?" asked Love. "But why did Time help me?"
Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered, "Because only Time is capable of understanding how valuable Love is."

[/i][/b]

MOD: Topic moved from Reading Group/George Orwell: 1984 to Literature...the other world!

am333

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Here The story of the day Empty Re: Here The story of the day

Post by chinda Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 am

A nice and very expressful story. Thanks a lot.
chinda
chinda

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Thewolf Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 am

Very nice story thank you, but why we think love is a victim always? I think love is a criminal must pay Here The story of the day Icon_smile
Thewolf
Thewolf

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Back to top Go down

Here The story of the day Empty Great Story about LOVE

Post by Londonhbb Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 pm

A woman came out of her house and saw three old men with long white beards sitting in her front yard. She did not recognize them. She said " I don't think I know you, but you must be hungry. Please come in and have something to eat ."
Is the man of the house in home?" they asked" .
"No", she replied. "He's out ."
" Then we cannot come in", they replied
In the evening when her husband came home, she told him what had happened
" Go tell them I am in home and invite them in ."
The woman went out and invited the men in .
" We do not go into a House together!" they replied .
" Why is that?" she asked .
One of the old men explained : "His name is Wealth," he said as pointing to one of his friends, and said, pointing to another one , "He is Success , and I am Love ." Then he added, "Now go in and discuss with your husband which one of us you want in your home ."
The woman went in and told her husband what was said. Her husband was overjoyed . "How nice!" he said . "Since that is the case, let us invite Wealth. Let him come and fill our home with wealth !"
His wife disagreed . "My dear, why don't we invite Success ?"
Their daughterinlaw was listening from the other corner of the house. She jumped in with her own suggestion : "Would it not be better to invite Love? Our home will then be filled with love ."
"Let us heed/follow our daughterinlaw' s advice," said the husband to his wife !
"Go out and invite Love to be our guest."
The woman went out and asked the three old men , "Which one of you is Love? Please come in and be our guest ."
Love got up and started walking toward the house. The other two also got up and followed him. Surprised, the lady asked Wealth and Success: "I only invited Love ; Why are you coming in ?"
The old men replied together : "If you had invited Wealth or Success, the other two of us would've stayed out, but since you invited Love , wherever He goes, we go with him. Wherever there is Love, there is also Wealth and Success .

Here The story of the day 3345748997_6705cee94d
Londonhbb
Londonhbb

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Nounette Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah Right This Is The Reality !! Nice One Man !!
Nounette
Nounette

Number of posts : 795
Registration date : 2009-05-12

http://www.rasoulallah.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonhbb Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I appreciate it from u Nounette . But it seems that u r the only one who likes it since there is just a single comment .
Londonhbb
Londonhbb

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 pm

It is really a nice story Londonhbb. I heard it once from Ibrahim Elfiky and I liked it so much, and I agree with them that what we are all in need and what we are supposed to invite to our homes and lives as well is LOVE and nothing else because wherever love exists, wealth, success, and happiness too exist.
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by NANA Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks a looooooooooooot Londonhbb it's amazing story i like it so much ya3omri1 .
NANA
NANA

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Thewolf Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm

u deserve all the best Lon...good story
Thewolf
Thewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by darkness Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

thanks hush it's very good

darkness

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by burself Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 pm

What a wise londonhbb ! really it is a good story..................thanks
burself
burself

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jamie Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm

hello big brother

i enjoy your story it make me remember the stories of my grandmother
jamie
jamie

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thewolf Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 am

Nice story BB Here The story of the day Icon_smile
Thewolf
Thewolf

Back to top Go down

Here The story of the day Empty THE DOG AND THE WOLF

Post by Thewolf Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Here The story of the day Blackw11A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by. “Ah, Cousin,” said the Dog. “I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?”
“I would have no objection,” said the Wolf, “if I could only get a place.”
“I will easily arrange that for you,” said the Dog; “come with me to my master and you shall share my work.” So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog’s neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.
“Oh, it is nothing,” said the Dog. “That is only the place where the
collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it.” “Is that all?” said the Wolf. “Then good-bye to you, Master Dog.”
Better starve free than be a fat slave.
Thewolf
Thewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by JOKER Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:55 am

BB u r still a strong lion!!
JOKER
JOKER

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Very very nice story, thank youuu.....and you deserve all the best, really.

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:48 am

Believe me mates, I cried when I heard this story one day. I want you to see how mothers can sacrifice for their children.

My mom only had one eye. I hated her… she was such an embarrassment. My mom ran a small shop at a flea market. She collected little weeds and such to sell… anything for the money we needed she was such an embarrassment. There was this one day during elementary school.

I remember that it was field day, and my mom came. I was so embarrassed. How could she do this to me? I threw her a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school… “Your mom only has one eye?!” and they taunted me.

I wished that my mom would just disappear from this world so I said to my mom, “Mom, why don’t you have the other eye?! You’re only going to make me a laughingstock. Why don’t you just die?” My mom did not respond. I guess I felt a little bad, but at the same time, it felt good to think that I had said what I’d wanted to say all this time. Maybe it was because my mom hadn’t punished me, but I didn’t think that I had hurt her feelings very badly.

That night… I woke up, and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. My mom was crying there, so quietly, as if she was afraid that she might wake me. I took a look at her, and then turned away. Because of the thing I had said to her earlier, there was something pinching at me in the corner of my heart. Even so, I hated my mother who was crying out of her one eye. So I told myself that I would grow up and become successful, because I hated my one-eyed mom and our desperate poverty.

Then I studied really hard. I left my mother and came to Seoul and studied, and got accepted in the Seoul University with all the confidence I had. Then, I got married. I bought a house of my own. Then I had kids, too. Now I’m living happily as a successful man. I like it here because it’s a place that doesn’t remind me of my mom.

This happiness was getting bigger and bigger, when someone unexpected came to see me “What?! Who’s this?!” It was my mother… Still with her one eye. It felt as if the whole sky was falling apart on me. My little girl ran away, scared of my mom’s eye.

And I asked her, “Who are you? I don’t know you!!” as if I tried to make that real. I screamed at her “How dare you come to my house and scare my daughter! Get out of here now!!” And to this, my mother quietly answered, “oh, I’m so sorry. I may have gotten the wrong address,” and she disappeared. Thank goodness… she doesn’t recognize me. I was quite relieved. I told myself that I wasn’t going to care, or think about this for the rest of my life.

Then a wave of relief came upon me… one day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house. I lied to my wife saying that I was going on a business trip. After the reunion, I went down to the old shack, that I used to call a house…just out of curiosity there, I found my mother fallen on the cold ground. But I did not shed a single tear. She had a piece of paper in her hand…. it was a letter to me.

She wrote:

My son,
I think my life has been long enough now. And… I won’t visit Seoul anymore… but would it be too much to ask if I wanted you to come visit me once in a while? I miss you so much. And I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion. But I decided not to go to the school…. For you… I’m sorry that I only have one eye, and I was an embarrassment for you.
You see, when you were very little, you got into an accident, and lost your eye. As a mother, I couldn’t stand watching you having to grow up with only one eye… so I gave you mine… I was so proud of my son that was seeing a whole new world for me, in my place, with that eye. I was never upset at you for anything you did. The couple times that you were angry with me. I thought to myself, ‘it’s because he loves me.’ I miss the times when you were still young around me.
I miss you so much. I love you. You mean the world to me.

My World Shattered. I hated the person who only lived for me. I cried for My Mother, I didn’t know of any way that will make up for my worst deeds…
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by glourious Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm

good job!
glourious
glourious

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nounette Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:51 pm

I Really Cried Chinda !! Our Mothers Try To Do Anything Just To See Us Happy But We Don't Realize That !! They Want Even Give Their Lives To Us !! I Love You Mum More Than Everything In This Life !!

Here The story of the day 16427310
Nounette
Nounette

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonhbb Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Ah really an awesome story ! I learn a lot from it . Hope we won't hurt our Mums who sacrificed for our growing and maturing .
u r always gr8 Chinda !
Londonhbb
Londonhbb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:15 pm

What a story Chinda, thank you......Our mothers are the best gift in this world....HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY for Mom and yours too mates and friends.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Nounette Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow Very Nice Wolf !!
Nounette
Nounette

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:19 am

Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky

Many, many years ago the Sun and the Moon lived together on the earth. Water was their best friend, and they often came to see him. But Water never went to see the Sun and the Moon in their house.

"Why don't you come to see us?" the Sun once asked him.

"I have too many friends," Water answered, "they will come with me. I am afraid there will be no place for them in your house."

But I shall build a new big house," the Sun said.

And the Sun built a very big house and then asked Water to come to him. Water came with all the fish and water animals.

"May I come in with all my people?" Water asked.

"Yes, come in," the Sun said.

Very soon Water in the house was knee-deep for the Sun.

Then in a minute Water was up to the Sun's head, and came higher and higher with all the fish and water animals. At last Water was so high in the house that the Sun and the Moon went on to the roof and sat there. But soon Water came up on to the roof. What could the Sun and the Moon do? Where could they sit? And they went up to the sky. They liked the place and began to live there.
chinda
chinda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next